Search This Blog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

My First-Ever Royalty Check: Do #AnneLamott and #StephenKing Make This Much?



For those of you lovelies out there who are planning on making a million bucks from your novel, here is about the sum of it.  This is my first-ever royalty check for Miracle Girls. Remember my advance for the sale of the book was zero dollars and zero cents. And it costs a bundle to submit to first-novel prizes to try to extend the life of the book. So....I'm basically in the hole. Minus $15.90. Need I say more?

5 comments:

Emily Saso said...

Thanks for the reality check. We don't do it for the money, but money would be nice!

Anonymous said...

Why did you not receive an advance on the book?

Writer, Rejected said...

Small press book. No advanced offered.

Temporary said...

This was the first year I reported income from writing -- really five years after my novel was published. The total in my self-employment form for royalties: $111. Thank Big-Bang that I kept my day job.

Marianne said...

My last royalty check was for 10 cents. I'm not kidding. It was for an e-book. Clearly, I am not motivated by money LMAO